I propose starting a #WCWFilmClub.
Here’s how I imagine it’ll go:
- Every Wednesday, I (because as far as I know, I’m talking to myself here *hint*leave comments*hint*) will pick a movie or show to watch depending on the time I have.
- My choice will have to spotlight a female director, producer, writer, actors, etc.
- I’ll probably just post what I’m watching on my Instagram story.
- On Thursday (#TalkAboutItThursday, ha), I’ll write about my thoughts.
- I will attempt to avoid spoilers or at least WARN you that there are spoilers before you decide to read.
I would love for it to be a discussion, hence why I’m calling it a “club,” and have people weigh in with their opinions. THIS IS A SAFE SPACE.
Women are underrepresented in the film industry, as shown by this infographic from the New York Film Academy and this LIST of studies from the SDSU’s Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film.
My knowledge of female directors, producers and writers aren’t on par with my knowledge of male filmmakers. So I’m going to do my damn best to change that. I remember this #52FilmsByWomen movement last year by Women In Film Los Angeles and I would love to make this a commitment.
Tonight, I’ll be watching episode four of “The Handmaid’s Tale” and tomorrow, I’m working on an extensive thought-vomit because my little heart will explode if I don’t.
I haven’t been honoring “#WomenCrushWednesday” as often as I should, so I’m going to commit!
I’m also not entirely sure if the producers for “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Harlots” decided to release new episodes every Wednesday for marketing purposes, or if it happened purely by coincidence, but I am going to take it and run with it!